IUP Valladolid program

Forums

Forum Home > General Discussion > IUP Valladolid Program Site

Leonard "Gomez" Glick

As a possible suggestion to make the iUP Valladold progam site more available to current and former students;  maybe someone who is still at IUP can post a note in the various Spanish Department news publications and in the iUP news letter (email and magazine).  I'm almost certain if former and present IUP Valladolid students were aware of the Site,  more would join. 

It would be great to read about personal  friends, family and good times that transpired in Valladolid through the years. 

Mil gracias a todos,   Leonard

December 23, 2011 at 3:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Paula Husar Fromm

Leonard have you or anyone else looked at the value of the Euro and tried to decided about the costs once people are in Spain.  It has been 15 years since I was last in Valla and would love to come to the Reunion but am wondering about the economic crisis and how it will affect travel expenses.  Would love to hear opinions from any and all, thanks.  Paula Fromm

January 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Leonard "Gomez" Glick

Paula,  The last time I went to Spain was when you did in 1997.  But in In Recent Blog Entries, "Preliminary Plans" in this site;  the planners touch on the subject and seem to have a very good itinerary. (Wish I could go).  Let me know if that helps.    Leonard

January 26, 2012 at 11:37 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Joan Stossel Pun

Paula Husar Fromm at January 24, 2012 at 5:45 PM

Leonard have you or anyone else looked at the value of the Euro and tried to decided about the costs once people are in Spain.  It has been 15 years since I was last in Valla and would love to come to the Reunion but am wondering about the economic crisis and how it will affect travel expenses.  Would love to hear opinions from any and all, thanks.  Paula Fromm

Paula,

We have tried to put some costs in the article and will update when we can.  Cost of a room at the Hotel Mozart is about 77 euros.  Of course, there are cheaper (and more expensive) hotels.  We've always stayed there for its good location (and the nice people).  I was going to see about a possible rental of an apt that could hold several people- I will still see if it is possible.  If you plan on sharing a room in ahotel, then it would come out much better - we can team people up later who want to go.  Breakfasts are cheap as always- maybe 2 or 3 europs for a coffee and roll or something.  lunches can be anywhere in price.  about the cheapest my husband and I had last year was an excellent paellla that someone was making in the doorway of a restaurant off the plaza mayor-  I think it was 8 euros.  for most meals, however, you can think from 15 to 25 euros a person, of course, this all depends upon wine, what meats you order, etc.  the hotel is near a supermarket and sometimes we bought ham and cheese and rolls and made outselves sandwiches.  that came out very cheap. 

The excursions on the weekends- which should not be missed- you can either rent a car with other people or, if there is room, get a ride and contribute something towards gas - maybe 5 or 10 euros.  most of the other walks and excursons should be free.  museums- if you are over 60, bring documentation and you may get in at a reduced price or free, like I did at the Museo de valladolid- a new place in an old mansion that I liked.

what else?  I read somewhere that flights to europe might go down for the summer as they are not expecting that many will go.  check the RENFE page for trains from madrid to Valladolid- they are lots of offers on the internet and also for seniors who can get a special card entitling them to discounts- have to buy the card there, however, which means buy the ticket afterwards.

the euro?  I think that has gone down a bit- check for current prices - although it always seems to me to go up in summer.

share with us any information that you might find and I hope that everyone else will do the same.

Joni

January 30, 2012 at 9:53 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.